There are now over 150 running events in the Icelandic racing calendar. Using last years numbers we have prepared a list of the 10 most popular races, counting only timed distances.
1. The Reykjavik marathon, 9.414 finishers
By far the biggest race of the year. Additionally, there are also fun run and kids run that are not included in the total number of participants.
Half marathon 2.218
2. Midnight Sun Run, 2.396 finishers
A unique race because of the late start in the bright Icelandic summer night.
Half marathon 320
3. IR New Years Run , 1.218 finishers
A celebration on the last day of the year, with lots of people running in costumes and a party atmosphere.
4.Icelandair Airport Run, 548 finishers
It was first held in 1995 and has grown steadily ever since. The raffle prizes are very tempting and are perhaps the main attraction, along with the fact that the course is flat and fast.
5. IR Cross Country Run, 526 finishers
The oldest continuous sports event in Iceland, held on the first day of summer (which is a public holiday!). This years 100th edition had over 1.000 runners!
The races between 6 and 10 are very close in popularity :
6. Healthrun Cancer Society 491 finishers (3K and 10K)
7. Powerade Run October 481 finishers (10K)
8. Ármannshlaupið 444 finishers (10K)
9. Fossvogshlaupið 436 finishers (5K and 10K)
10. Powerade Run November 435 finishers (10K)